Starting Work

Starting up work at my internship is sort of a blessing and a curse. I no longer get to go out every night. I don’t have to continue a life subsisting off of 6 hours of sleep, little expensive food, and cheap but strong Stella Artois or Strongbow cider. My wallet is saved from going out to outrageously expensive clubs most nights, and I no longer get to embrace my urge to wander aimlessly in downtown London. Instead I have a finite schedule of when I have to get to work. I make sure I get at least 8 hours of sleep so I can function at my 9-5. I eat regular (but still overpriced) meals with adequate nutritional value. I even have tube stops that I now identify as “my stops” for getting to and from work. But in the peril of rush hour traffic, where I feel more like a sardine than a functional human, I feel a bit of comfort in the normality and order that my internship provides.
But other than giving a rhythm and beat to my day-to-day schedule my internship gives me a great opportunity to learn about things I wouldn’t have known about otherwise. My internship is with a small student accommodations company that works as an intermediary between Investors who own a variety of properties and university students (and in some cases specific universities and study abroad programs). Businesses like the one I’m interning at are part of a niche in real estate that I had no idea existed let alone were so vast in areas like London. While working this past week I really began to see how a variety of different situations have led to the formations of these student accommodations all throughout London. By playing on mutually beneficial roles for people and organizations, property management companies work with investors and tenants to find a mutual area where all three are happy. Investors get the return on their investment that is realistic. The students get price appropriate rent with amenities, service, and care that allows them to focus on their studies. And the management company gets a fraction of the money between the other groups for their work. This work includes following the investors rules for running and maintaining the building, taking some blame for the state of the building if problems were to arise, making sure students are content with where they live, and fixing most issues that may arise that are too small for the investors to care about (such as a stove light being out). All in all its an interesting process and I am glad to get some firsthand experience in real estate.