One Down, Five to Go

Simbiotik LogoA couple of weeks ago, I got an e-mail from Kelly, my contact at Simbiotik (the partnership marketing firm where I’m interning this summer). We were planning out scheduling for my internship among other things. At the end of her e-mail, she mentioned that the Simbiotik office summer party was coming up and that I’d need to let her know whether or not I’d like to attend. I quickly envisioned a calm, dry get-together with a lot of small talk; I told her I’d think about it. I thought to myself, “for all I know, I may not even like these people.”

Fast forward a couple of weeks (to this week), and I’m showing up for my first day at work. The Simbiotik office is much different than I’d expected. First, as many others in the blog have mentioned, the workplace environment is very casual. The firm has 12 employees (and now two interns). Dave Pickles, the CEO, sits at a regular desk just like everyone else, and everyone goes by their first name. 9 of the people in the office are under 30, and they all like to have a ¬†good time. On lunch breaks this week, we went to a local pub to play darts or to the Mexican restaurant for tacos and drinks. Yesterday, we watched the England game on the office TV while we worked.

The crew may be very casual, but they’re also very productive, working for clients such as Hasbro, Peroni, and PepsiCo in the past. They bounce ideas off one another all day in order to put forth their best work to the client, and once anyone is put to a task, they complete it well. I spent the first couple of days sifting through old client documents. At first, I thought this was just busy work, but the old files were intriguing. It was interesting to see how the firm handled each different set of partnerships. I look forward to working on current projects¬†with the team over the next few weeks.

Anyway, I think it’s safe to say I’m going to the summer party (which I’m told starts at 9am). It’s going to be a fun five weeks.